I love this character; they are such a meaningful and beautiful delight and their design is flawless.
And, of course, in the beginning, I thought this would be a super easy costume to make. I figured I'd buy and modify most of it. Get a dress, get a hoodie, throw some feathers and flowers at it. Done. Easy-peasy.
I never learn.
I could not find a dress or hoodie that I liked, but I did find discount fabrics and forgotten curtains. Not to mention handmade feathers woven from yarn. So from scratch it is.
I try on my Seaside Tea Rue dress with my shapewear; it fits. I take it off, take off the shapewear. I sew it up. Pin some flowers on it. Go to try it on, so I can see the placement of the flowers… and my dress is now a size too small and will not fit over my shoulders or hips.
I am freaking out. Did I sew it wrong? Is shapewear fucking magic? Will I have to rip it all apart and start over again? I have, like, no leftover fabric, so will I have to get brand new fabric for this dress? Fuck!

I’m literally watching Dimension 20’s A Court of Fey & Flowers. The very scene this dress is from. And, as I’m lamenting the sudden shrinkage of my dress, I’m, like, “I’m so sorry Oscar & Aabria; I’ve failed you!”
Then I realized I’ve flower-pinned the front of the dress to the back of it and that’s what’s messing it all up.
I’m so smart…
This was definitely on my “if I have time to make it” cosplay wishlist this year. The Green Hunter was a great running gag of A Crown of Fae & Flowers and who doesn’t love a good book purse.
Plus, I had this great leftover faux green leather that I got extremely cheap years ago. Then I happened to find the perfect book box at the craft store and I knew it had to happen.
I remember using this green material for my Oglaf’s Mistress crown, only to find it unwieldy and hard to work with. So this time I got serious. Using a generous amount of wood glue, screws, and clips to hold it all in place while it dried, I made sure this faux leather stayed where I wanted it to stay. Very pleased with how it turned out.
The salt goblins were also one of the best parts of the season, stealing every scene they were in. I loved the idea of incorporating them into my costume somehow. I also loved the extra, behind-the-scenes lore about the pepper goblins who kept dying out due to fatal sneezing fits.
So I bought really cheap salt & pepper shakers, sawed them in half & decorated them with gold paint. Then I attached them to the box with and sculpted my goblins out of foam clay.
My biggest obstacle with this was just not being able to find everything I wanted and just having to make do. My craft store used to have a ton of purse-making supplies. But I spent more than an hour combing through that store and came up with nothing but that perfect book box. So, like I always do, I made do.
The box, perfect as it is, only has a very small, very weak magnet holding it closed. Which is not ideal for a purse. Using a leftover latch from my Box of Doom and a bit of scrap leather, I managed to make a very secure clasp for my purse.
Using some more of that scrap leather and some discount flat mount D-rings meant to hang pictures frames, I was able to create an over-the-shoulder strap for my purse.
This was definitely a whirlwind project. In a crazy crafting fit, I stayed up until 4am building & painting my box. The whole thing, from start to (almost) finish, was done in a single evening. Sometimes, it happens like that.
Here it is all finished! I love a costume that lets me wear my claws again.
WANT MORE?





No comments:
Post a Comment