Check out all the sections, including Book One & Two by clicking HER(fix)E
Hide & Seek
My dad, whom I loved beyond words, died while I was writing Reservations. There is so much of him in this story. So much so that I literally tear up every time I read pretty much any of Lenten or Olive's sections. Grief is just such a powerful and overwhelming moment in time that consumes everything in your life for a time. But, like Pandora's Box, there is always hope. And it's that hope that gets us through. After I finished this story, my friends and I challenged each other as an exercise to write one of our character's fondest memories. This was my attempt to capture that glimmer of hope in the darkness.
Olive had loved her Daddy. Still did, even though it wasn’t the same now. She’d loved that, no matter what he’d been doing or how busy he got, he’d always stopped to play with her whenever she’d asked. Their favorite game was Hide & Seek.
She was good at that game.
Especially the Hiding part.
Small and unafraid, she’d always picked the best hiding spots. Her favorite ones in their old house, where they’d lived before her uncle had taken her to live in The Elysium, were on the tip-top shelves in the basement and under the backyard stoop.
No one had ever been able to find her there.
Except her Daddy.
He could always find her. Didn’t matter where she’d hidden, she’d known that it was only a matter of time before he found her. And, to be honest, she’d liked it when he did. Even though it meant the end of their game, there’d been nothing safer than the sight of him after being alone and waiting.
Still wasn’t.
If she was really honest, a part of her was still waiting, always a little alone even in this big hotel filled with so many people. Even after more than thirty years, a part of her was still crouched in the tip-top, hidden places in her mind, knowing that it was only a matter of time before she saw that familiar face again.
Until she felt safe again.
Read Reservations
Available:
Her(fix)
WANT MORE?

No comments:
Post a Comment