Monday, July 9, 2018

Take a Peek Behind the Scenes - My Upstaged Interview



Please check out this fun interview I did for my story, “Rise or Shine,” in Upstaged!: an anthology of women who love women in performing arts an exciting, new anthology from Supposed Crimes!

"These talented storytellers captured womanhood, and women on stage and screen, in all their beautiful, wonderful glory. These are the ones that made me laugh and cry and want to sing. There are erotic and sensual tales, gender non-conformity, trans women, lesbians and bisexuals, politics, falling in love, parenting, youthful crushes, opera, toe-tapping musical numbers, death-defying stunts, humor, and more. This anthology is a celebration." - AM Leibowitz, Editor.

Including my story, Rise or Shine - What is Cadence Carrington to do? Her public life is colliding fast with her private persona, when her boss at the governor's office sets his eye on shutting down the club she secretly performs burlesque at as featured dancer and femme fatale, Rebel Rouser. It's only a matter of time before she's found out, but the question is will she choose Cady's steady, straight-laced life or will she choose to be the Rebel she knows she is at heart?




What is the hardest part of writing?
Finding the time. Even when you desperately want to be writing, there seems to always be something pulling you away from your stories: work, friends, partners, family, life. Finding ways to carve out time to write can be hard and, even when you do, getting motivated during that precious, carved-out time can be even harder.
What is the hardest part of publishing?
Understanding that a story will never feel “done.” Before I was ever published, I would tell myself that I’d send out my work once it felt ready. Felt finished. Felt done. But that feeling never came. There were always sections to be reworked or phrases to be tweaked or commas to shift about. In the end, what motivated me to send my work in was the realization that perfect isn’t possible and waiting around for it would never make my dreams come true. You write your story to the best of your abilities, polish it up the best you can, and then you let it go. I think the aim should always be polished, but it helps to remember that published is always better than perfect.

Read the Rest Here

No comments:

Post a Comment